Really pimples are big trouble. Having your first pimple on the face is as depressing as seeing your first grey hair. The acne or pimples start during the puberty period and it subsides by itself after a few years. But for a few others, the problem persists. People go to great lengths to solve this issue. Find out the causes of acne and pimples on the face, factors can aggravate the pimples, best pimple treatment, important cautions to be borne in mind and methods to prevent the breakout of pimples.
Causes Of Acne And Pimples On Face
- The second layer of our skin contains oil-secreting gland called sebaceous gland. Induced by a hormone called Oestrogen, it secretes an oil called sebum. It reaches the skin through the hair follicles and keeps the skin oiled. The dust and pollutants from the environment mix with this oil and clog the skin pores and prevent the secretion of sebum. This sebum which is stuck in the pores and forms pimples.
- The main reason for oily skin and problems related to it is not keeping the skin clean. If not properly cleaned dirt will begin to join the skin pores and bacteria acts on it and forms pimples.
- The male hormone Androgen induces the sebaceous gland to secrete more sebum in both men as well as women.
- Hormonal changes due to pregnancy or consuming oral contraceptive pills can cause the breakout of pimples.
- Pimple problem may be hereditary.
These Factors Can Aggravate The Pimples
- Hormonal changes that occur in the body from 2 to 7 days before menstruation.
- Use of oil-based beauty products.
- Spending more time in oily places like a kitchen.
- Environmental pollution.
- Frequently touching, pinching and squeezing the pimples.
Is There a Relationship between Food and Pimples?
It is believed that eating chocolates and ice-creams can cause pimples. Though we don’t have a proof for this, we know that fruits and vegetables are brightened the skin. So it is recommended to consume them.
Can Stress Cause Pimples?
Though there is no direct relationship between stress and pimples, doctors believe that excessive stress can aggravate them. Stress aggravates pimples and pimples result in more stress.
Who Can Get Pimples?
Pimples can normally occur from 11 to 30 years. It may start disappearing later after 30 years. In rare cases, pimples can occur from 40 to 50 years as well.
Best Pimple Treatments and Methods As Follows
Pimples And Acne Cleanser
A special type of cleanser is available for a pimple prone skin. Foam-based and non-foam based cleansers are available. Non-foam based cleansers do not make the skin too dry. After consultation with doctors or beauticians, medicated cleansers can be used.
Medicated Cleansers For Acne and Pimples
Medicated cleansers contain Benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid or sulphur. These chemicals clean the pores of the skin and prevent pimples. But they can make the skin very dry. So it is better to use them only after proper consultation.
Best Antibiotic For Pimples And Acne
- If you see a dermatologist for the treatment of pimples you may be prescribed antibiotic that can be taken internally or creams that may be applied externally. They kill the bacteria around a pimple and reduce inflammation. Some anti-biotic can cause peeling of the skin or cause reddening of the skin.
- Internally consumable antibiotics can cause a headache, stomachache, dizziness, and loss of hearing.
- If the anti-biotic are not taken under proper consultation the bacteria causing pimples may develop antibiotic resistance and lead to an increase in pimples and other infections.
- Most of the anti-acne creams and gels contain benzyl peroxide Retinoid or Azelaic acid. Benzyl peroxide reduces the pimple-causing bacteria and clears the clogged pores. But they can cause peeling and reddening of the skin and allergy on exposure to sunlight.
- Retinoid is related to Vitamin Adapalene and Tretinoin are the two types of retinoid used to get rid of pimples. They control the secretion of sebum, clear the dead cells blocking the pores of the skin and helps in the production of new cells. Retinoid may cause irritation and burning sensation in the skin in some cases.
- In such cases where benzyl peroxide and retinoid causing allergy, they can use adapalene based products. Though it is moderate compared to the other two, but it still can cause irritation and dryness.
In the next part, we will be discussing home remedies and parlor treatment for pimples.